Friday, October 24, 2008

Who's Going to Wear the Crown?

My mom recently sent me the print outs of some of my dad's sermons. Until about 30 minutes ago, I couldn't open the envelope. I have read one paragraph and I am in tears....tears from laughter and sadness!!! I wanted to share how my dad started this sermon and give you a glimpse of what he really thought of pageants. (I promise I will share the rest of the sermon when I find the strength to read it myself)
(left - evening gown competition 2002)
Who's Going to Wear the Crown? Luke 10:25-28

As you know we spent week before last at the Miss Texas Pageant. At the pageant they are always trying to get you to yell and cheer for the person you are there for. I love Brook and all but I have a difficult time getting excited about that kind of competition. So I've come up with some changes I think some of the girls need to try. Some things that would raise the level of excitement.

Like when the contestant is doing their talent, you know everything is real quiet, the music is just right. Wouldn't it be more of a test of talent if they had to perform with some of the girls heckling them. You know like at a basketball game when the player is trying to shoot a free throw.

Now this swim suit competition. The first thing is I've never seen a girl at the beach wearing a swim suit with high heels, what's up with that? Take the high heels off and put flip-flops on them. And this is suppose to be the physical fitness part of the competition. But you can only tell if they look fit, so what we need is to add a little WWF to this part. You know while the girl is walking across the stage another girl run up and gives her a forearm smash to the head or maybe a body slam. Then you could tell how fit they were by how quick they got up!

The evening gown part. Anybody would look graceful in a long gown and high heels. So I was thinking you could put down a thin layer of ice on the stage. When they walk across the stage in their evening gown and high heels on ice, you could really tell who was graceful!

But you know, as good as these suggestions are, I do not believe any of the girls will try them. The reason they wouldn't is because they would be disqualified if they did. They have certain rules they have to follow to be able to win. Their talent can only be so long, their clothes have to be a certain way. They have to make good grades in college. They have rules to follow.

(later in the sermon)...The only place you will ever understand the rules for living is by reading the instruction manual God has given us, the Bible.


Cruise - I think I was about 5


Miss Texas 2003

High heels for house shoes maybe

Like I said, I will finish the sermon.....so that it will all make sense....but that is as far as I got :)

9 comments:

Whitney Bownds said...

I don't know how you do it..
Because it even makes me cry..
But as I read it, I can hear his laugh.. That's the thing I remember most about your dad.. He was always so funny and had that infectious laugh..

S. Brook Bell said...

I know.....that's why this particular sermon made me lose it!!! Thank you sooooo very much for sharing that with me....I love hearing stuff like that!

Courtney said...

Tears running down my face...but as usual, he had a sense of humor about everything. And, yes, his laugh was so infectious...you could always tell if Billy Kibler was around because you could that laugh. It seems our dads both had the same attitude about pageants, but willing to support their girls however they could...with whatever they wanted.

Aunt Linda said...

Your dad's sermons have touched so many lives. He will continue to touch lives as long as his memory is alive. He is a true angel from
God. I see your dad in you and your brother from the way he raised you two. My sister has been given a great family from the father above, because your dad chose to put God in charge of the Kibler family.

Alicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia said...

Thank you for sharing these stories with all of us...He really is missed and we will all have our memories of your dad...you are so strong...be sure to share more when you can...xoxo

Emily said...

Brook, I just clicked on your blog from Courtney's. I am glad you have so many special memories and lessons from your dad. It seems like you two had a very special relationship.
Did you know that I love really close to you? We are in Flower Mound. You have two beautiful girls and we will be praying for you throughout the rest of your pregnancy. I hope that you are able to find creative things to do while on bedrest and that you have a very healthy baby in God's perfect timing.
Do you have a lot of help during this period?

Amy said...

Brook, I just found out that you have a blog... I have not had a chance to read any of it yet, but I am really looking forward to a time when I can. I looked through the pictures on your first post real quickly... and that was that little girl that I remember so well. :) Can't wait to get to know you again. Love, Amy

Amanda said...

I'm so glad that you have his thoughts and his words to comfort and lead you. Your dad is such a special man, and I can just hear him saying those things with a laugh! You are truly blessed to have these sermons so you can share him with your girls. :)

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker